You might have heard the phrase, “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.”
In the practice of investing, this means don’t invest all of your money into a single stock/mutual fund/etc. Why? Because if that investment tanks, you’re going to lose all of your money. Of course, the opposite is true, as well. If the investment increases in value, you stand to gain money.
Investing in only one stock, mutual fund, etc is a risky strategy. It’s important to DIVERSIFY your investment portfolio across various types of investments.
The same could be said of your work strategy.
As voice actors, we tend to want to focus on the craft of voice acting. For most of us, it’s what we find most interesting and invigorating as work.
However, focusing only on voice acting, and not other sources of income, could be a risky strategy. Unless you are a voice actor with contract work for tv/radio station affiliates, promo work, trailer work, and the like, your income is likely unsteady and varies greatly from month to month, year to year.
There are many ways to diversify your voice acting business to include other related ways to garner income. Here are just a few ideas of how you can help other voice actors, or your clients:
- audio editing for other voice actors voicing eLearning – editing breaths, mistakes, creating individual files
- audio proofing for voice actors voicing eLearning or audiobooks – listening to their audio against the script to ensure it’s accurate
- creating videos for voice actors or others – these could be video demos, or perhaps other videos if you’re skilled in videography
- writing and copy editing
- implementing social media marketing for other voice actors
- teaching social media marketing
- web site creation for other voice actors
- marketing and branding brainstorming
- if you’ve been in the business long enough, coaching. Ok ok, sometimes I feel like the vo world does NOT need another coach, but if you’ve been in vo a long time and have a unique perspective, it could be a possibility. Or, perhaps you could work locally coaching theatre kids – many of them also have an interest in voice over.
These are just a few ideas! The possibilities are ENDLESS! I’d love to hear your ideas on how to diversify your voiceover business! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
#voiceacting #voiceover #marketing #commercialproduction #audioproduction #videoproduction #advertising #elearning